CPM S35VN Steel
Composition of CPM S35VN steel
Top uses of knives made with CPM S35VN
In modern times, choosing the perfect knife is not just about design and usability, but also about the quality of steel that ensures long-lasting sharpness, durability, and resistance to wear and tear. One such high-quality steel that has taken the knife industry by storm is CPM S35VN. A phenomenal upgrade to the already impressive CPM S30V steel, CPM S35VN provides excellent edge retention, corrosion resistance, and easy sharpening. In this article, we will delve deeper into the composition of CPM S35VN steel, its applications, and its history.
CPM S35VN steel is known for its well-rounded characteristics attained through a unique combination of alloying elements. Its chemical composition consists of:
- Carbon: 1.38%
- Chromium: 14.00%
- Molybdenum: 2.00%
- Niobium: 0.50%
- Vanadium: 3.00%
The higher carbon content enhances the steel's hardness and edge retention. The addition of chromium improves the steel's corrosion resistance, making it a perfect choice for knives exposed to harsh environments. Molybdenum adds to the steel's strength, while niobium contributes to its toughness and adds stability to the steel. The increased amount of vanadium in the composition also adds wear resistance and contributes to the steel's overall hardness.
CPM S35VN steel was introduced to the market in 2009 by Crucible Industries, an American company renowned for its production of high-quality metals for various industries. This steel was specifically designed for knife makers by renowned knife industry experts, including custom knife designer Chris Reeve.
The development of CPM S35VN was based on the success of its predecessor, CPM S30V. Collaborating with Niagara Specialty Metals, Crucible Industries aimed to enhance the steel's characteristics while making it easier to manufacture and work with. Niobium was added to the composition, providing a notable increase in toughness without affecting the steel's wear resistance or corrosion resistance.
Advantages and Applications of CPM S35VN
CPM S35VN steel possesses numerous advantages that make it ideal for various applications in the knife industry. Some of the key advantages include:
1. Exceptional Edge Retention: The high levels of carbon and vanadium provide CPM S35VN with remarkable edge retention, so knives made from this steel remain sharp for extended periods of use.
2. Excellent Corrosion Resistance: The presence of 14% chromium enables CPM S35VN blades to retain their integrity and appearance even when exposed to moisture, humidity or corrosive substances, making them suitable for use in harsh environments.
3. Durability and Toughness: Thanks to the niobium and molybdenum content, CPM S35VN steel offers high toughness, resistance to chipping, and durability, ensuring a reliable and long-lasting product.
4. Easy Sharpening: Although the steel has outstanding edge retention, when it comes to sharpening, CPM S35VN can still be sharpened with ease compared to other high-hardness steels.
5. Wide Application: CPM S35VN steel is widely used in various types of knives, including folding knives, hunting knives, tactical knives, and kitchen knives. Its versatile properties make it a preferred steel choice for custom knife makers and manufacturers.
CPM S35VN steel has quickly earned its spot as one of the top contenders in the world of knife steel. Its balanced blend of features, such as exceptional edge retention, corrosion resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening, make it suitable for numerous applications. If you're considering a knife investment, be it for everyday carry, outdoor adventures, or culinary use, you can trust the performance and longevity of CPM S35VN steel.